- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup organic brown rice protein powder or vegan protein powder of choice
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, stevia powder or liquid stevia drops
- 1 cup water + more as needed
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the maple syrup or sweetener of choice, then slowly add the water, mixing until “just mixed.” It should be a little lumpy and quite thick. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Cook in a hot non-stick pan until bubbles appear in the centre of each pancake. Flip and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serves 2.
- The original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of water but as you’ll notice below, people were finding the batter too runny. I reduced it to 1 cup but I think somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 cups works. Start with 1 cup and as more as needed. It works great with 1 cup but the batter is very thick, however, this will result in an extra fluffy pancake. If you want the batter to stretch a little further and make more pancakes, add a little extra water.
- I haven’t tested these with gluten-free flours but some readers have had success. Check the comments section to see what’s worked for people. If you have success with a gluten-free flour blend, let me know in the comment section!